Senior Research Associate
2009, PhD in Demography, Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade
2003, MSc in Demography, Institute for Demography of the Faculty of Geography, University of Belgrade
1998, BSc in Geography, Faculty of Sciences, University of Belgrade
- modelling population dynamics
- political response to demographic challenges
He worked at the Geographic Institute "Jovan Cvijić" of Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts between 1999 and 2005. Since 2011 he has been the editor in chief of Stanovništvo, one of the oldest demographic journals in the world, and visiting lecturer at the Belgrade Open School. He has published more than 60 bibliographic units in national and international journals, monographs and proceedings. The most frequent topics of his research relate to future population dynamics, demographic aging, migration, spatial aspects of demographic phenomena, and population policy. He was the project manager of “Population and households in Serbia according to the 2011 Census” (2014), and co-coordinator of “Demography for media” (2012). Currently, he has been taking part in the national project “Researching Demographic Phenomena for the Purpose of Public Policies in Serbia” and European project YOUMIG – Improving institutional capacities and fostering cooperation to tackle the impacts of transnational youth migration (2017-19). He was engaged as an expert in current national strategies – Spatial Development Strategy through 2020 (2018) and Birth Promotion Strategy (2018). Since 2003 he has been active in addressing policy-relevant demographic issues in the media. He was scientific consultant in the top rated tv documentary on population decrease and emigration from Serbia – entitled Zadnja kuća, Srbija, for the national broadcasting company RTS from 2010 to 2015.
Membership in professional associations:
- Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts, Committee for the Study of Population
- European Association for Population Studies (EAPS)
- Association of Demographers of Serbia
- Nikitović, V. (2018). The End of Demographic Transition in Kosovo: Does the Meaning of the Population Factor Change? In D. Proroković (ed.), Kosovo: Sui Generis or Precedent in International Relations (pp. 299-320). Belgrade: Institute of International Politics and Economics, Belgrade.
- Reynaud, C., Nikitović, V., Tucci, E. (2017). Recent Immigration from Serbia to Italy: The Beginning of a New Tradition? In: V. Janeska & A. Lozanoska (eds.), The population of the Balkans at the dawn of the 21st century (pp. 205-220). Skopje: Institute of Economics – Skopje, Ss. Cyril and Methodius University in Skopje.
- Nikitović, V., Bajat, B., Blagojević, D. (2016). Spatial Patterns of Recent Demographic Trends in Serbia (1961–2010). Geografie 121(4): 521-543.
- Nikitović, V. (2016). Demographic Limits to Sustainable Development of Mountain Regions in Serbia, In: G. Zhelezov (Ed.), Sustainable Development in Mountain Regions: Southeastern Europe (pp. 241-251). Cham: Springer Science. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-20110-8_16