Statement of purpose
- Stanovništvo is a peer-reviewed, open-access journal of population studies that aims to publish research papers and related material from the full range of disciplines that relate to demography, including social sciences, life sciences, statistics, geography, and policy research.
- The journal is dedicated to the dissemination of relevant demographic knowledge among researchers of other scientific disciplines, encouraging an interdisciplinary approach to the study of demographic phenomena, spreading a positive population climate, and raising awareness of the importance of the population factor. It also aims to provide a forum for professionals concerned with population studies in the region of former Yugoslavia and neighbouring countries, including researchers, teachers, students, data producers, and users of demographic knowledge.
- Stanovništvo publishes original papers that have not been published previously. The following categories of papers are included:
- research paper (contains previously unpublished results of the author’s own research conducted using a scientific method),
- review article (contains an original, detailed, and critical view of the research problem or the area in which the author has made a certain contribution), and
- short communication (original, full-format scientific work, but of smaller volume or preliminary character).
The journal also publishes:
- scientific critiques and polemics (discussions on a particular scientific topic based exclusively on scientific argumentation),
- reviews and reflections, short book and conference reviews, statistical annexes, etc.
- Manuscripts shall be submitted in English or Serbian (including all standard variants of the former Serbian-Croatian language), with extended summaries in English.
- The Latest articles section contains the manuscripts of articles that have been accepted for publication but have not yet appeared in an issue of the journal. They have been peer-reviewed and edited according to Stanovništvo’s usual standards. Latest articles should be cited by their digital object identifiers (DOIs), which are assigned to every article. These manuscripts can be changed after minor technical and language corrections in the process of preparing the print layout of the journal issue. When the final version of the article is assigned to an issue of the journal, the first published version will be removed from this section.
- The journal is issued semiannually in both electronic (open-access) and printed versions.
eISSN: 2217-3986 | ISSN: 0038-982X
- All articles are licenced under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 (CC BY-NC 4.0), have a DOI, and are indexed in the CrossRef database.
- The journal does not charge any fees for submission, reviewing, and production.
- The publishing of the journal is supported financially by the Ministry of Education, Science, and Technological Development of the Republic of Serbia.
- Stanovništvo is covered by the following services: CEEOL, CNKI, CrossRef, DOAJ, doiSerbia, EBSCO, ICI Journal Master List, SCImago Journal Ranking (SJR), and Scopus.
- One of the oldest demographic journals in the world and the oldest in the Balkans, Stanovništvo was first published in 1963 by the Demographic Research Center of the Institute of Social Sciences, Belgrade (Serbia). Since 1990, the Association of Demographers of Serbia has co-published the journal.
- Academic Miloš Macura, former director of the UN Population Division (1966-1972), was the initiator and first editor-in-chief of the journal.
- Demographers from around the world have contributed to building the reputation and significance of the journal with their papers. These include the world’s most famous population science researchers, such as: Frank Lorimer, Eugene Hammel, Edward Rosset, Massimo Livi-Bacci, Zdenek Pavlik, Robert Cliquet, Jean-Paul Sardon, and Alain Parant.
- To commemorate the 50th anniversary of the journal, a special issue dedicated to the development of population studies in Stanovništvo was published in December 2013.